Precious objects made of porcelain are still produced today in the Königliche Porzellan Manufaktur (Royal Porcelain Manufactory). Clear lines are found not only in the products, but also in the buildings, through to inside the sanitary rooms.
The "Königliche Porzellan Manufaktur Berlin" was founded in 1763 by Frederick the Great. Today the brandmark is still the royal sceptre from the electoral Brandenburg coat of arms. It is one of the last manufactories worldwide; the products continue to be made and painted by hand. After numerous moves the manufactory is now back on its historical site in Berlin, between the Landwehrkanal and Spreebogen.
Its name was used for the new "Spreestadt" created in recent years, the so-called KPM Quarter. Numerous office and residential buildings have sprung up around the KPM site. The original production facilities were comprehensively renovated and redesigned – for example, the former annular kiln hall is now used as a sales and exhibition building. With each change in location the observer sees a new image of the building – the storeys appear like stacked rectangular blocks, some of which push beyond the
façade plane and are rotated about their axis. The building is a solid, reinforced concrete and masonry structure, made of coloured concrete. In 2013, an administration building was added to the listed building. It was designed by the Berlin architects nps tchoban voss. The façade facing the street was clad with polished natural stone slabs. The front which faces the courtyard of the Königliche Porzellan Manufaktur was rendered.
The vertical layout of the original KPM building was included in the striking window design. The clear linearity continues inside the new building. The HEWI System 100 was chosen for the fitout of the sanitary rooms.
nps tchopan voss GbR